- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 750 milliliter bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup ruby port or Madeira
- 1 cup sugar
Crush the cinnamon and cardamom using a mortar and pestle (or put them on a cutting board and crush them with the bottom of a heavy pot).
Put them in a small glass jar and add the ginger, orange zest, cloves, and vodka. Let stand for 24 hours.
Strain the vodka through a fine sieve into a large saucepan; discard the spices. Add the red wine, port or Madeira and sugar.
Heat over medium heat just until bubbles start to form around the edges.
Serve the glögg hot.
Keep any remaining glögg warm over very low heat until ready to serve (do not allow to boil).