I know we've just met, but I have a crush on you. A big fat, "there's a strong possibility that you might wake up one morning, look out your window, and find me holding a boombox above my head blasting In Your Eyes," kind of crush. I might actually memorize some poetry. It's that bad.
Don't get me wrong, the past few years have been great! A few bumps and scrapes, and a couple of downright falls, but plenty of elated moments as well. Except for 2013 which offered its fair share of lessons, including among others:
- Deny it all you want, but if you think that you need glasses, you probably do.
- It's a mistake to listen to Sarah Mclachlan first thing in the morning. Really. Just don't do it.
- Dogs age much faster than we ever anticipated. And they get sick. And all you can do is try to give them back as much love as they gave you. And wait.
- Don't agree to zipline when your "guides" are two sixteen year olds who are on their first day on the job.
- Trust your friends. They see what you refuse to.
- If it talks like a duck, acts like a duck and waddles like a duck ... guess what? It's a duck!
- If your flight is delayed due to bad weather, don't get frustrated and angry. Just sit right back down, and thank your lucky stars that they’re not sending you up to bump around in a tin box with only the clouds to cushion the drops in elevation.
- When you're sitting atop a horse and you accidentally kick him in the hind, he hears "go!"
- A car really can't run on fumes. That's just something people say. So, fuel up!
- You are judged on what you do, not what you say you are going to do.
- Weird is a side effect of awesome. Embrace your weirdness. It’s awesome.
- There is indeed such a thing as karma.
- Always dance, dance, dance.
- Have more patience.
- The more you believe in magic, the more magical things will happen.
- Leap of faith > fear
- Love > everything
Now, properly armed, I am ready. I have grown by leaps and bounds, and I have been taught, at times harshly, but I have learned. I believe that you, 2015, are my year; you are positively brimming with possibilities. So, bring on your scrapes and falls. Teach me your own special lessons. Most of all, hold my hand as I take the road less traveled, give me hope when my load, or my heart, feels heavy, give me a kick in the butt if I get too complacent, and smile upon me when I get things right. I, in turn, will not squander your time. I will trust that you have my best interest at heart, and I will trust myself. I will do my darndest to make the right choices, and I will show up.
Cheers to you 2015. I am all in. Let’s throw some fairy dust up in the air, and do this!